TIPS FOR AVOIDING JET LAG

People who use to travel long distances and usually take very long flight, they get suffer from extreme tiredness. During the journey they also get suffer from other physical effects felt by a person after a long flight across different time zones. This condition occurs when your circadian rhythms are slow to adjust to the new time zone and remain on their original biological schedule for several days. This results in your body telling you it is time to sleep, when it’s actually the middle of the afternoon, or it makes you want to stay awake when it is late at night. Jet lag affects both seasoned fliers as well as first timers. Symptoms of jet lag include sleepiness during the day, insomnia at night, poor concentration, confusion, hunger at inappropriate times or lack of appetite, and general malaise and irritability. Here are some effective ways by which you can easily get rid of jet lag.

Adjust your Watch

Adjust your watch according to your destination time zone, before you leave for your trip. Thus you will suffer less time dislocation. If you are travelling to East, then book an early morning flight or if you are going to West, then book an late night flight. This will be most consistent with your normal time zone and cause less disruption to your sleep cycle.

Eat Healthy

Eating regular and healthy meals full of protein during your whole journey will make your body fit. Random meal times and poor nutrition will affect your immune system and make you ill. Always have a protein rich breakfast in the morning after you arrive or during the journey. It will improve your alertness.

Do Exercise

Exercise is must for travelling. Doing good amount of physical activity will make your body tired, thus you can sleep blissfully.

Sleep Well

Without sleep you can’t do anything. It is one of the most important part of your Life cycle. Try to get enough sleep before you start with your trip. If you begin your trip with sleep deficit, your jet lag will make it worse and you will end up feeling miserable. If it’s daylight at your destination, try to avoid sleeping on the plane. If it’s nighttime at your destination, try to sleep. Use earplugs, eye shades, and turn on the air conditioning valve. Make sure your sleeping room is dark so that you can sleep better.

Opt for overnight flights

Try to choose overnight flights, so that you’ll arrive at your destination in the morning or afternoon. This is the best way to replicate your normal schedule, and it’ll be easier for you to reset your clock.

Avoid caffeine

For 12 hours before, as well as during your flight, avoid taking coffee or tea. Although caffeine can help keep you awake longer, but it makes you wake up more often once you do fall asleep and so reduces total sleep time.

Stay hydrated

Remember to stay hydrated. On the day of your flight, drink plenty of fluids. The dry cabin air inside the flight tends to make you more prone to jet lags. Drink at least 8 ounces of water for every hour you’re in the air, even if you don’t feel thirsty.

Avoid alcohol in flight

Cabin air dehydrates passengers, and altitude changes can quicken the effects of alcohol. A cocktail may relax you, but it may also be the cause of jet lag. Avoid alcohol at least three to four hours before bedtime. It act as “stimulants” and prevent sleep.

Avoid thinking about Jet Lag

Spend most of your time inside the flight either eating or watching movies or listening to songs. This way you will think less about your jet lag. It is said that Melatonin is the hormone present in the body which controls the body when we go to sleep and when we wake up.

Get outside

After arrival, spend a lot of time out in the sunlight, which will help your body reset its natural time clock to coincide with your new surroundings. Try to get outside in the sunlight whenever possible. Daylight is a powerful stimulant for regulating the biological clock.

About

An engineer and a travel blogger. Loves trekking and doing bike road trips. Burger lover (want to try every burger in the world). Clinomaniac. Sports fanatic. Likes technology but not a technology addict.

No Comments

• Mazino Oyolo Kigho February 21, 2015 at 12:46 am Reply

I must say this post has very useful content. Many people do suffer from jet lag whether regular flyer or part time.

• Raymond Vasquez February 21, 2015 at 6:11 pm Reply

Yeah, I forgot about jet lag on my first international flight, and I didn't have much jet lag issues. haha I was enjoying the whole trip, I didn't even bother to know the time. lol.

And yeah, maybe I'd try to minimize alcohol next time. 🙂

• Tiffany Yong W.T. February 21, 2015 at 11:20 pm Reply

I will try the overnight flight next time! Haha, I sleep late at my usual hours and going overseas actually made it right! Opposite right?

• Kelly Chin February 22, 2015 at 12:35 am Reply

Thanks for the tips, I think get ourselves accustomed to local time is important too.

• Little Lady February 22, 2015 at 8:54 am Reply

These are good tips. I try booking overnight flights, but I can't sleep on planes at all! So I always end up falling victim to jet lag. I just give myself time to relax, then go about my day as I normally would, forcing my body to adjust.

• Mia Foo February 22, 2015 at 9:21 pm Reply

very useful tips for those constantly travelling long distance to areas with very different time zones! i can pick up a few good tips for my future Europe trip too! 🙂

• Fred Hawson February 23, 2015 at 9:16 am Reply

Thanks for the tips. But I am not too sure about the overnight flight. I tried it once and I was the sleepy the whole day afterwards. Hehe.

• Prasad Np February 23, 2015 at 11:17 am Reply

These were good tips, for some reason coming back home gives me more jet lag than going out… don't know why…

• Rochkirstin Santos February 23, 2015 at 11:37 am Reply

I think some people are also finding it difficult to sleep well because their body clock has been changed with the time difference. These tips are definitely helpful. Finding time to work out even for 20 minutes in a day will be great.

• Fatemah Sajwani February 23, 2015 at 2:33 pm Reply

these are some really helpful tips. I too avoid taking caffeine during travel. =)

• katsjourney February 23, 2015 at 6:40 pm Reply

Nice tips. I have not yet traveled half way around the globe to experience jet lag. The farthest I have been is a 3-hour time zone difference and it did not affect my body rhythm. -katrina centeno

• Eliz Frank February 23, 2015 at 9:45 pm Reply

These are all very important tips to keep handy when traveling. Also, on long flights, get up and move your body during the flight to stay flexible and keep your blood flowing properly. People don't realize that they can develop blood clots if they don't get up and stretch inflight

• papaleng February 23, 2015 at 10:11 pm Reply

Though I haven't been to long distance travel, but your tips is worth remembering.

• Vanessa February 23, 2015 at 11:13 pm Reply

When I travel long distance flights I face similar problems myself, so I find your tips very useful and will definitely try them out to avoid the annoying jet lag.

• Nicol February 25, 2015 at 5:33 am Reply

nice tips! i suffer from jetlag badly even though i fly overnight on long haul flights. will try the other tips

• Karen of MrsLookingGood February 25, 2015 at 1:11 pm Reply

Thanks for the tips! I noticed that if I'm flying to a new place, my jetlag is not as bad because it's something new and I'm still excited. But if I'm returning home, jetlag is harder. Maybe because I know I have to clean the house, pay my bills, etc. LOL

• Sumi Go February 25, 2015 at 6:05 pm Reply

Great tips! I actually find myself also tired from traveling even without crossing over to an entirely different timezone. Will definitely take not of all your tips the next time I fly, and especially when I go on a long haul flight.

• Louise Banta March 5, 2015 at 4:22 pm Reply

Nice tips but I think it would be a bit hard to get enough sleep before a trip since like for us, we usually prepare or check the luggage whatsoever before the day of the flight. And of course, some would be very excited for the flight or that they fear they might not make it for the check-in time. Nevertheless, these are great tips.

• lee rosales March 9, 2015 at 7:27 am Reply

wow! didnt know that sunlight helps your bio body clock to restrain from jetlag. great tip!