Some Great Travel Myths

Travel always plays an important role in our life. And there are many travel myths in the world which you may not know. Like if somebody asks from us “Which is the tallest mountain” then definitely we would answer “Mount Everest”. But its not the correct answer. And you have to believe on this because it is true.

But don’t worry! we will let you know some great travel myths…… Here is the listing:

1. Great Wall of China

The Great Wall of China can be seen from space. True or False? False. Most travel guides said that the Great Wall of China can be seen from space but this is a myth. Chinese astronaut Yang Liwei proved that even from the international space station 278 km above sea level, you can’t see the wall…Instead of this you can see Egyptian Pyramids from space.

2. Hottest Place on Earth

Africa is the hottest place on earth. True or False? False. It is widely asuumed that Africa is one of the hottest places on Earth, but if you ever visit the north and south of Africa in their winters then you would find a lot of areas covered in frost and even snow. Instead of this the world’s hottest place is actually Death Valley in California. Back in July 2013, temperatures were recorded to have reaches a sweltering 56.7 degrees Celsius.

3. Most Expensive City

Paris is an expensive city to visit. True or False? False. Paris isn’t an overly expensive city. The misapprehension comes from its image as the “City of Love”. People often visit Paris for a romantic getaway or honeymoon, it’s easy to go out of pocket by sipping on French Champagne, chomping on chateaubriand and stayng in luxurious hotels. But in reality it is entirely possible to complete your Paris trip on a limited budget. Instead of this London is the most expensive city to live in, according to latest surveys.

4. World’s Tallest Mountain

Mt. Everest is the world’s tallest mountain. True or False? False. Although it’s true that Mt. Everest is the highest mountain in the world, with an altitude of 8,848m (29,029 feet), it’s actually not the world’s tallest mountain. Mauna Kea in Hawaii comes in the place of world’s tallest mountain with a total height of 10,100m (33,100 feet) when measured from the floor of the Pacific Ocean. The base of Mauna Kea is about 6000 meters below sea level and the summit is about 4000 meters above sea level.

5. Capital of Turkey

Istanbul is the capital of Turkey. True or False? False. If someone asks from you the capital of Turkey, your answer would be Istanbul. Although it’s the most popular city of Turkey, but, it’s actually not the capital. The capital is city of Ankara, the second largest city in Turkey.

6. Largest rock in world

Uluru is the world’s largest rock. True or False? False. Uluru, our red centre, is considered by many to be the world’s largest rock, but in actual Mt. Augustus in Western Australia is the world’s largest rock. Covering an area of around 4,800 hectares, and sitting 1,105 meters above sea level, Mt. Augustus is over twice the size of little Uluru.

7. Driest Place on Earth

The Sahara desert is the driest place on Earth. True or False? False. It’s widely agreed that the Sahara Desert is a pretty inhospitable place, but it’s not the driest place on the planet. The world’s driest place is actually the McMurdo Dry Valleys on Antarctica, an area that has seen no rainfall from around 2 million years.

8. Booking in advance will save your money

Booking flights well in advance will often cost cheaper than a ticket purchased closer to your departure date. If you have a fixed plan and there will be no change in your departure dates, then only book in advance.

9. Last-minute flights are cheapest:

Buying tickets in advance is not always cheaper, sometimes booking at last minute is also cheaper. If an airline is seeking to fill an underbooked flight then you may get a great deal. But even more frequently and especially on popular routes. If you have some flexibility on plans, and have no problem with change in the airfares then you can go for last minute strategy.
About

An engineer and a travel blogger. Loves trekking and doing bike road trips. Burger lover (want to try every burger in the world). Clinomaniac. Sports fanatic. Likes technology but not a technology addict.

18 Comments

• Mazino Oyolo Kigho February 17, 2015 at 12:55 am Reply

So you can see Egyptian Pyramids from space? And the world's hottest place is actually Death Valley in California? Amazing facts.

• Julie Syl Kal February 17, 2015 at 4:51 am Reply

Learnt some new trivia and travel facts bring on then contest, Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• Raymond Vasquez February 17, 2015 at 8:40 am Reply

Did you happen to see my vision wall? haha I have all these on my vision wall and bucket list. LOL! Now I am thinking this one's for me. hahaha Makes me reaffirm my goals of visiting these places. Africa was one of the top in my list.

• Priscilla Yeo February 17, 2015 at 11:38 am Reply

Some of the facts used to be true before the discovery of something even bigger, better, drier; whichever the category is.
    However the most expensive city to live in now is Singapore. Not London.

• Asti Astii February 17, 2015 at 5:08 pm Reply

Is true that we can see egyptian from space? Woww.. I haven't known. So, what is the most expensive city in the world? May be Japan. Great post!!

• Kelly Chin February 17, 2015 at 11:15 pm Reply

Thanks for sharing these facts. I thought the capital of Turkey is Istanbul but the truth is Ankara.

• Tiffany Yong W.T. February 17, 2015 at 11:56 pm Reply

I tried doing the last minute flight booking, but not exactly true. For that, one must also take note about checking in luggage. I did the last min flight booking and they told me to do handcarry, I did so, forgetting that I have bottles of facial soap bigger than 100ml inside, and was asked to dispose them when entering the plane! So heartbroken!

• papaleng February 18, 2015 at 10:54 am Reply

I got 8, not bad. Thanks for the educational info.

• Ron Leyba February 18, 2015 at 11:14 am Reply

Great info! For sure many still believes the Myth number one :). And I guess, many tourist guides still says it even though they know it isn't true to attract more tourists and travelers.

• Franc February 18, 2015 at 4:43 pm Reply

I had to reread the mount everest part. Mauna Kea was higher because it included the part of the mountain that's below sea level. I learned a lot from your post.

• Fred Hawson February 18, 2015 at 8:53 pm Reply

Very interesting trivia for the next round of Trivial Pursuit. I love these geography facts. The Great Wall thing is such a revelation. I guess when you talk about Mt Everest, you have to say tallest mountain from sea level.

• Eliz Frank February 18, 2015 at 10:33 pm Reply

It is pretty amazing g how inaccurate information flourishes. Good to know the hard core facts. Loved this post.

• Kat Centeno February 19, 2015 at 6:35 am Reply

Oh, I know number 5 and Canberra is the capital of Australia. Some people think it is Sydney. I love the fun facts listed here.

• Fernando Lachica February 19, 2015 at 4:10 pm Reply

Some places that I like to visit and some dare to reject my senses. Well, Sahara Desert is more enjoyable but risky.

• Vanessa February 19, 2015 at 4:28 pm Reply

Wow, I believed some of these myths myself till reading your story. However, I lived in Paris for a long time myself and I can say from experience that compared to most of the European cities it is indeed very expensive.

• Fatemah Sajwani February 21, 2015 at 12:29 am Reply

Amazing post! While reading I realized that I believed in most of the myths mentioned above. Thanks for such an informative post!

• eLaNaKcL March 5, 2015 at 2:58 pm Reply

Thx for sharing this. Some true and myth that I never thought of….

• Magnetic Hill Ladakh - Most Interesting Place in India September 24, 2019 at 12:27 am Reply

[…] Read Also: Some Great Travel Myths […]