Melbourne, The Most Livable City In The World

Melbourne, a beautiful & huge city, located in the state of Victoria, Australia. It is the capital of this state and the second most populous as well as second largest city in Australia. It  ranks as the world’s most livable city since 2011 and also world’s fourth most expensive city since 2013, by the Economic Intelligence Unit (EIU). It is rated highly in the areas of entertainment, tourism, healthcare, research and development, education and sports.
The city was founded on 30 August 1835 and was declared a city by Queen Victoria in 1847. In 1850 it was transformed into one of the largest and wealthiest cities in the world.

The location of Melbourne is on the large natural bay of Port Phillip. Its centre is known as the City of Melbourne, situated in the municipality of Melbourne. It is located 465 km away from the country’s capital, Canberra and 712 km away from the Sydney. The dwellers of city are called Melburnians. Its population is approximate 4 million.

Melbourne has a moderate oceanic climate and is well known for its changeable weather conditions. Melbourne’s climate is enjoyable during December to March. In this period it has sunny days and cooling nights. The inland deserts of Australia are amongst the hottest areas on earth.

The major attractions of Melbourne are:

Federation Square, Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne Museum, Melbourne Observation Deck, Arts Centre Melbourne, Crown Casino, Southbank, Melbourne Zoo, Melbourne Aquarium, Docklands, National Gallery of Victoria and the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Melbourne Observation Deck

Federation Square

Melbourne is known to be the cultural capital of Australia as it offers much more to visitors like museums, galleries, theaters, Victorian-era architecture, large parks, shows, festivals, drama, musicals, comedy, literature, film and television. The city celebrates a long list of annual cultural events and festivals, which includes the Melbourne International Arts Festival, Melbourne International Film Festival, Melbourne Fringe Festival, Melbourne International Comedy Festival and Australia’s largest free community festival that is “Moomba”.

Moomba, An Australian Festival

Eureka Tower, tallest building in
Melbourne.

The City of Melbourne is often referred as the garden city of Australia as there are many parks and gardens, with a variety of common and rare plant species amid landscaped vistas, pedestrian pathways and tree-lined avenues.

It is known for its mixture of modern architecture and historic architecture. Some of the finest architectured buildings are Royal Exhibition Building (World Heritage Site), A.C. Goode House, a Neo Gothic building, the incomplete Parliament House, St Paul’s Cathedral, Eureka Tower(tallest building in Melbourne).

Tram in Melbourne

Melbourne has an integrated public transport system based around extensive train, tram, bus and taxi systems. Melbourne’s trams network are the largest tram network in the world and it is recognized as iconic cultural assets and a tourist attraction. Melbourne has four airports, the main airport is at Tullamarine and is the second busiest in Australia.

Do You Know: The 2015 Cricket World Cup Final will be held in Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG). It is the 11th  largest stadium in the world and largest in Australia with a capacity of over 1 lakh.

If you want any other information regarding Melbourne then check this website

Website For Melbourne: http://www.visitmelbourne.com/India.aspx

Contest For Readers

Tell me the things you would like to do in Melbourne and Why??

Leave your answer in a comment below. The best answer will win a Voucher worth ₹500/-.
Hurry up! the contest will end on 4th January 2015.

About

An engineer and a travel blogger. Loves trekking and doing bike road trips. Burger lover (want to try every burger in the world). Clinomaniac. Sports fanatic. Likes technology but not a technology addict.

No Comments

• Ashish Ahuja January 2, 2015 at 11:06 am Reply

I must say. Amazing Content. I'll surely spend some days in Melbourne.
    NYC, Manu 🙂
    Keep it Up !

• cruxrebels January 2, 2015 at 5:36 pm Reply

Great post! After reading your post & watching all the videos, I’d most like to visit the Dandenong Ranges for it’s scenic beauty, breathtaking view and cool breeze blowing through my hair. 😛 I’d give anything away for driving through the winding roads which are present throughout the ranges. I’d love to stay at one of the bed and breakfast cottages and go on frequent excursions in the forests with my camera which provides excellent views. And not to forget the famous ride in the Puffing Billy, a day reserved especially for that. To add to that, there are also several picnic spots for me and my friends to spend a fun-filled day and the ranges are a perfect spot for hiking and cycling.

Wish you and your blog a happy new year! 😀

• Saurabh Rathour January 3, 2015 at 11:55 am Reply

This is a wonderfully written article. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Melbourne, Australia.
    The writing style is very insightful and interesting!
    I hope to visit Someday!

• Sweet January 3, 2015 at 8:18 pm Reply

Love the penguins…
    I’d love to wake up next to the ocean…walk on golden sand every morning. ..
    I would love to check out the helicopter ride to the 12 Apostles…. and drive on thr great Ocean road in a blue convertible…singing khwabon ke parinde…. a la Zindagi na Milegi Dobara
    And wear huge diamonds and take a selfie on the Eureka Skydeck…against the Melbourne Skyline
    And chill in the Yarra Valley Vineyards…
    what a life that would be.

• Hemaaa January 3, 2015 at 8:55 pm Reply

Wonderful post and interesting videos that make me feel that
    Melbourne invites the eternal romantic in me to hold hands with my beloved and go see the Twelve Apostles .Go on long drives on the great ocean road. In the middle of nowhere in a vineyard spread a table and enjoy a meal and a glass of wine with my dear one. Enjoy the sunsets holding hands and do lots of shopping at the Queen Victoria Market and see all the graffiti being created at the hosier lane.
    Great Post and interesting videos watching them I am sure to visit Sovereign Hill for spending some time in the era gone by. The lure of gold and panning for some nuggets is a temptation that is too much to resist. After I have found the gold I am bound to celebrate it with some wine so I will visit the vineyards and enjoy some great wine from the Yarra region .Visit the Pannys Phillip Island Chocolate Factory and have my fill with this yummy delight.
    therisingstarz.blogspot.in/2014/12/melbourne-selfie-capital-of-australia.html
    therisingstarz.blogspot.in

• Ranjith January 4, 2015 at 10:08 am Reply

The Great barrier reef, what else? There's only one word to describe it completely, – Mesmerising. What more would one want if one gets to see the great barrier reef, the corals and the numerous creature our oceans have hidden away from us still preserving them for us. Ah, the sights make me yearn for a tour to Australia, atleast once in a lifetime.

– Ranjith (http://www.alightheartedtalk.com)

• alok January 4, 2015 at 4:20 pm Reply

Interesting Post
    After reading your post and watching all the videos
    I feel I have stepped into a kaleidoscope called Melbourne
    Where Vistas of experiences would unfold one after another
    The nature lover in me is enticed by the thought of watching the penguin parade.
    Traveling though the great ocean road, soaking up the freshness as the breeze ruffles my hair gets me in the mood to pack my bags for Melbourne.
    But before I can move ,Puffing Billy whistles and invites me for a ride. The kid in me jumps with joy at the thought of visiting Pannys Phillip Island Chocolate Factory
    Even before I can deside on the list of places that I would like to see in and around Melbourne.
    What’s that noise that I hear ?
    Oh its loud cheer from MCG as the cricket world cup 2015 is about to kick start.
    So many plces to see and so much to do.
    I am thetimetraveler ( http://goo.gl/wdXDzu ) and I have decided … Melbourne here I come ( http://goo.gl/RvUCQf )

• Nikita Johri January 4, 2015 at 11:36 pm Reply

Given a chance to visit Melbourne, I would absolutely make a run for Eureka Skydeck 88..Imagine the view of the city from such a great height of over 300 metres and while you are suspended in air in a glass box!
    This is an experience not to be missed and I hope I get a chance to visit Melbourne and go explore Eureka Skydeck 88 soon 🙂

-Nikita @Njkinny's World of Books & Stuff

• Ashwini Verma January 5, 2015 at 12:34 am Reply

If I ever get a chance to visit Melbourne,
    I would love to drive a cruiser bike on Great Ocean Road and let every pores of my skin to feel the pleasant breeze passing over.

Being a nature lover, I would love to watch wild little penguins waddling across the beach to burrow in the sand dunes. I would take a walk at the Great Otway National Park (behind Kennet River) and enjoy the opportunity to spot the abundant local koalas during a pleasant walk through a sweetly-scented eucalyptus forest. I would like to hop on horseback and head out into the wonderful scenery of the Mornington Peninsula outside Melbourne for an exhilarating horse riding experience on loveliest beaches.

I want to enjoy a ride on Melbourne Star wheel and visit Melbourne Observation Deck for scenic journey.

Attending an art festival and moomba will be a great pleasure.
    Most of all watching World Cup 2015 at Melbourne Cricket Ground will bring me a great hell of excitement.

• Arvind Passey January 5, 2015 at 3:44 pm Reply

What will I want to do in Melbourne most?

Well, shopping in malls isn't like strolling in markets… because i wouldn't have much to buy, but yes, i will surely love to click people in candid stances. Market shots with a 50mm prime lens in Melbourne will help me understand and converse better with the city.

What else?

Obviously, the art, graffiti, public installations, and the galleries are places that will be on my priority list. I will try to see and go to those streets where the wall artists abound, talk to them, and discuss the contemporary scene with them.

Anything else?

Sure, a trip in a balloon or an elevator to take me high above the city to the Eureka Skydeck will give me a chance to watch the new and the old architecture of the city from a vantage point.

By the way, your post has helped me reach these conclusions. thanks for having written it.

Arvind Passey

• Paresh Godhwani January 5, 2015 at 6:19 pm Reply

I want to visit chocolate factory and MCG in Melbourne. I want to swim in that liquid chocolate (cold chocolate) and I want to try every single type of chocolate there and want to have chocolate shots as much as I want.

MCG is like a dream for every cricket passionate. As a player I want to feel its atmosphere and as a cricket lover I want to cheer for India from its top tier. I want to visit MCG members reserve as well.
    Nice Post.

PG

• Saru Singhal January 6, 2015 at 1:07 am Reply

It's just the right place to have fun. Great post, good luck.

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 2:29 am Reply

Thanks Ashish 🙂

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 2:30 am Reply

Thanks for the comment.
    Happy New Year ! 🙂

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 2:30 am Reply

Thanks Saurabh 🙂

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 2:33 am Reply

yeah… helicopter ride would be amazing. Nice 🙂

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 2:38 am Reply

well.. you have made a long list… Great 🙂
    Thanks for the comment.

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 2:42 am Reply

even I also want to see the great barrier reef. It's one of the interesting things to do for me.
    Thanks for the comment.

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 2:52 am Reply

I also want to cheer for India from MCG…. too excited for the worldcup 😀
    Thanks for the Comment.

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 2:55 am Reply

It seems you like doing activities full of thrill and adventure… Great 🙂
    Thanks for the comment.

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 2:57 am Reply

well a BIG list… seems like you have already taken a virtual tour of Melbourne 😀
    Thanks for the comment.

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 2:58 am Reply

Thanks for the comment 🙂

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 3:03 am Reply

Interesting!… bring some chocolates for me also.. 😀
    Thanks for the comment.

• Manu Khandelwal January 7, 2015 at 3:04 am Reply

• Hemaaa January 20, 2015 at 7:17 pm Reply

Hi
    My email id is hemmma09@gmail.com
    in case you decide me as a winner

• jenny lopz June 12, 2017 at 12:44 am Reply

One of the most overlooked vacation destinations is Vietnam. Vietnam has a rich history and interesting culture that is well worth experiencing.http://greenvisa.io/

• ALEX ROCK August 2, 2017 at 5:52 pm Reply

It is rated highly in the areas of entertainment, tourism, healthcare, research and development, education and sports.umbrellas